TJX Rewards Privacy Notice
Effective date: July 2014
Welcome to the TJX Rewards™ website (the “Website”), which is operated by The TJX Companies, Inc. (“TJX”). TJX, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post, Derailed, and other affiliates are the “TJX Businesses.” This Privacy Notice applies to personal information TJX collects from Rewards members and users on the Website, in our stores and through other means.
Information We Collect
We may collect certain personal information from you in connection with your activities with TJX Rewards™, such as when you sign up to become a member or participate in promotions in our stores or online. This information may include:
- contact information (including name, e-mail address, postal address, and phone number);
- date of birth;
- shopping history;
- other personal information you provide to us on our Website, on feedback forms, in our stores, when you use your card or when you interact with us in other ways, both online and offline.
Additionally, we or companies acting on our behalf may collect certain computer and browser information through automated technologies such as cookies and web beacons when you visit our Website (whether or not you have signed in as a register user) or otherwise interact with us online. A “cookie” is a file that a website sends to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to identify the browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
The information collected using these tools may include your IP address, the address of the web page that referred you to our Website, dates and times of Website visits and the location of your device. These automated technologies also permit the collection of “clickstream data,” which may include a log of content you access while browsing a website. Companies acting on our behalf may combine the information collected from your visit to our Website with other information they have collected previously.
Opt-Out From and/or Restrict Cookies
Your web browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict, reject or disable certain cookies (but please note that we do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals from web browsers). Additionally, you may opt-out of data collection from the particular companies that we use to collect information from users of our Website.
- We use a company called Adobe to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. To learn more about Adobe’s collection and analysis of information by automated means, including how to opt out, click here.
How We Use the Information We Collect
When we collect information from you, we may use it for a number of purposes, including to:
- Communicate with you about the benefits of the TJX Rewards™ card;
- Track your accumulation of TJX Rewards™ Access points or other benefits;
- Identify your product and service preferences so that we can notify you of new or additional products, services, features, promotions or events and special offerings relating to the TJX Businesses that might be of interest to you;
- Administer your participation in promotions, contests and sweepstakes;
- Improve merchandise selections and customer service;
- Invite you to participate in customer research;
- Enable the financial institution that issues the TJX Rewards™ card, Synchrony Bank, to make offers to you regarding the TJX Rewards™ program;
- Respond to your comments and inquiries;
- Measure the advertising effectiveness of our online and other advertisements and events;
- Help us understand Website activity and improve your use of our Website;
- Help us prevent fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities and minimize risk;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services, managing our communications, performing market research, and administering our Website).
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
In addition, we use information collected online through automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Website; (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Website; (iii) measuring and managing the advertising effectiveness of our online and offline advertisements and events; and (iv) managing our business. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Website, identify users of our Website, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Website, how users navigate through our Website, and how we may tailor our Website to better meet the needs of our users. In order for us to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and improve our communication with you, we may also supplement the information we collect with other public demographic information.
Information We Share
We may share your personal information among the TJX Businesses (which are affiliates owned by TJX, including T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post, Derailed, Winners, HomeSense, and T.K. Maxx). They may use this information to offer products and services to you consistent with the purposes identified in this statement. Your information may also be transferred as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including any transfers made as part of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation) involving all or part of the TJX Businesses or as part of a stock sale or other change in corporate control.
If a contest, sweepstakes or promotion is jointly-sponsored by us and one or more other sponsors, your information may be shared with such sponsors. We do not control other sponsors' use of your personal information, and their use of your information will be in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you do not wish for your information to be shared in this manner, you may choose not to participate in such jointly sponsored contests, sweepstakes or promotions. Such offerings may also be subject to additional rules and regulations governing your participation.
We may also share certain personal information we collect about you with partners or third parties who perform services for us or with whom we contract for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. For example, we may use third parties to host our Website, operate certain of its features, send e-mails, print or send mailings, run our sweepstakes, contests or other promotions, conduct customer research, authorize and process your payments, manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness, and fulfill orders. Such third-party service providers are given the information that they need to perform their designated functions and we do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information for their own or any others' marketing purposes.
How We Protect Your Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of your personal information. However, we cannot guaranty the effectiveness of these safeguards, and nothing in this notice shall be construed as an express or implied warranty against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
We do not seek nor will we knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13.
Our Website may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These linked websites operate independently from TJX and may have their own privacy notices or policies. Other linked websites may be owned or controlled by TJX but have privacy policies that differ from this one. To the extent any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by TJX, we are not responsible for the websites’ content, any use of the websites, or the privacy practices of the websites. We suggest you review the privacy policies of any linked websites you visit.
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, you may contact us as described in the Contact Information.
You can opt-out of receiving promotional text messages, e-mail and/or postal mail from TJX Rewards by doing the following:
- If you originally signed up for TJX Rewards e-mail, you can opt-out from that e-mail by clicking here.
- If you have received an e-mail from TJX Rewards, you can opt-out from receiving further e-mails by following the opt-out or “unsubscribe” instructions provided in the e-mail you received.
- Contact Customer Service, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Eastern Time) at the toll-free number 1-800-926-6299 if you do not want to receive promotional text messages, e-mail and/or postal mail communications from us in the future. Please specify if you would like to opt out of text messages, e-mail, postal mail, or all three. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name, telephone number and e-mail and/or postal mail addresses under which you have been receiving communications from us.
Please note that any opt-out for postal mail may take at least sixty (60) days to become effective. Also, you may still receive text messages, e-mail or postal mail from other members of the TJX Businesses if they received your phone number, e-mail or postal address from other sources or as a result of their own transactions or experiences with you, or if you request to hear from us again.
Notice to California Residents
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law provides that you be given the opportunity to opt out of our sharing your personal information with third parties that would use such personal information for their own direct marketing. Absent such an opt-out, we may share your information with other TJX Businesses (which are affiliates owned by TJX, including T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and Derailed), to provide you with information about their products, services or promotions that we think may be of interest to you. We also may share your information with other non-affiliates absent such an opt-out, as described in the “Information We Share” section above. Accordingly, per California law, we provide a way for you to opt out if you do not want us to share your information in this manner.
California residents can opt out of our sharing your information as described above by contacting Customer Service, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Eastern Time) at the following toll-free number: 1-800-926-6299, and requesting that you would like to opt out from receiving all marketing communications from TJX Rewards and all other TJX Businesses. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name, phone number, e-mail and/or postal mail addresses under which you have been receiving communications from us. Please note that it may take us up to 30 days to fully process your opt-out request.
To review our complete Privacy Notice, please click here.
If you have questions regarding our Privacy Notice, or if you wish to update the personal information you have provided to us, you may do so by:
- Writing to us at the following address:
770 Cochituate Road
Framingham MA 01701
Attn: Customer Service - Privacy Notice
- Calling customer service Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Eastern Time) at the following toll-free number: 1-800-926-6299
Changes to Our Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our information practices. We will post a prominent notice on the site to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate when it was most recently updated.